Latinas au Naturel
Growing up, we were told that we didn’t need make-up because we were naturally lindas. According to Los Guapos, natural is the best look for a woman. Achieving the natural look es otra cosa. Men don’t want us to look as if we rolled out of bed. They just don’t want us to look like we belong with the clowns in the circus. Luckily you have us and we have connections.
We asked Rosie Mercado, plus-size model and celebrity make-up artist, for tips on how to achieve the natural look without breaking a sweat:
- Keep in mind when choosing a foundation closest to your natural skin tone that most Latinas have yellow undertones. Opt for a liquid foundation whenever possible. It is easy to apply and offers a sheer, natural coverage. Blend. Blend. Blend. Foundation brush or those funny looking sponges work the best.
- Use concealer only when necessary, like on dark circles under your eyes or blemishes. It should be about two tones lighter than your base and preferably with a yellow undertone so it mutes imperfections without adding color.
- Add some glow by brushing bronzer onto your cheeks, forehead, nose and chin only, not all over your face and not so much of it. It’s easier to put more than to remove it.
- No need for multi-colored eye shadows. Sweep a neutral shade of champagne, pink, beige or gold onto your lids stopping just short of your brow bones and use pencil eyeliner. Liquid eyeliner? Is that natural? Didn’t think so.
- Curl your lashes and apply black mascara to look awake and refreshed.
The final touch is a perfect kisser: line lips with a nude liner and fill in with matching lipstick. Que bella!